The National Parks, Rivers and Beaches Authority (NPRBA) is a statutory government body that protects the rich natural, cultural and historic heritage of SVG. This is done through a protected area system. A protected area is an area of land or water that is managed for the protection and maintenance of its ecological systems, biological diversity and or specific natural, cultural and aesthetic resources.
The National Parks, Rivers and Beaches Authority is tasked with:
- Sustainable development
- Protection of biodiversity
- Protection of culture and heritage
- Development of recreational sites
- Protection of ecosystem function (e.g. water, electricity, soil conservation, etc.
- Meeting obligations under international conventions
- Development of tourism through diversification
- Financial sustainability