The Department of Culture endeavours to manage, develop, and advise on all aspects of cultural development in SVG. Its aim is to provide for the sustainable use of our cultural resources while facilitating the preservation of our heritage as a vehicle for instilling national pride and forging national identity.
Department Policy Objectives are:
- To establish appropriate institutions.
- To instill national pride and as a corollary, develop greater social discipline and commitment to nation building.
- To stimulate our creative potential.
- To inculcate an appreciation for, and understanding of the cultures of the Caribbean.
- To inculcate an appreciation of, and respect for the aesthetic and functional value of our surroundings.
- To preserve and conserve our cultural heritage by working through the following institutions:
- The National Cultural Foundation governed by Act No. 6 of 2001
- The St. Vincent and the Grenadines National Trust governed by Act No. 37 of 1969 and 2007
- The Peace Memorial Hall Board governed by the St. Vincent Memorial Hall Act. CAP 415 Revised Laws of St. Vincent and the Grenadines 2009
- Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) governed by Act No. 52 of 2002